Monday, February 18, 2013

Fun With Fluff

Last week, I got rid of some spinning stuff I never used that was just taking up room in my closet (for the curious, it was a flyer for a wheel I didn't have and, sadly, will not be getting anytime soon). I was able to make a trade with someone on Ravelry for some old carders and a bunch of lovely dyed fiber! I got a beautiful assortment of Merino, Corriedale, Alpaca, Mohair, and even some silk!

After I opened the package, stopped drooling, and watched a few tutorials on Youtube, I got to work with my new-to-me hand carders! I blended some of the red mohair with Ellie's white hair at about a 70/30 ratio and got this:


Guys, it is SO SOFT. I made about 5 rolags of it and found an appropriate home for the delectable fiber. It even smells like chocolate now!:


Since then, I've spun two rolags onto one of my drop spindles. At first I was terrified to mess up, but you know what? I've got a renewable source of fluff in my back yard. If I mess up, I mess up, and I'll learn from it and move on. Here is what I've got so far:


I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it as I don't really know what qualities these two fibers have (memory, drape, etc.), but whatever I make, it is going to be SOFT! I'm thinking probably fingerless gloves. Easy first project for my first hand-carded fiber :)

Also, for anyone interested, the person who traded with me has an Etsy shop. You should go check it out!


Have a good Monday, everyone! :)


1 comment:

  1. Look at you, twice in one day! It's like blog Christmas! I'm so glad you're enjoying your new fluff =D. I mean, what crafty female DOESN'T want soft, beautiful fluff that smells like chocolate? ;)

    ReplyDelete