Monday, June 28, 2010

Not much of a challenge, but good, much needed practice...

Well I read the course book (yes, I walked to the school to get it and everything!). Baby stuff. I could do it in my sleep. BUT! The fact remains that I have not done this in a long time and a good warm up can't hurt :) I can't wait to start tomorrow!!

Another great thing about this book is that it introduced me to something apparently marvelous: Wilton Cake Release. I googled it and discovered that I could either buy it at a craft store for $3.49 OR that I could make it myself :) Basically all it does is grease and flour the pan for you in one step, so in order to make it you just need to blend 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of shortening, and 3/4 cups of vegetable oil. Apparently it's the bee's knees. We'll find out tomorrow when I make Melissa's bundt cake for her birthday :)

The book is also refreshing me on little (yet very, very important...) details that have been long forgotten. Like how thick/thin icing needs to be in order to properly ice a cake :\ That bit of info could have been helpful last year at the start of the semester. I tried making a fancy cake for DXD, but the icing was way too thick and dragged crumbs up to the surface of my lovely, white buttercream :( I had to improvise and it looked awful. But not this time!! My Wilton Master Tip Set is in the mail and on its way!! Cakes, prepare to be fabulous!!

1 comment: