Friday, July 23, 2010

Pac Man Cake!

And here's the second cake for the cake walk at church tomorrow :)



Wakkawakkawakka...

I was going to have him chase a blue ghost, but there wasn't enough room on the cardboard for it. Oh well, I still like it :) Here's what I did with the leftover cake after cutting out his mouth:



It was a heart for my hubby :) He was sad that he didn't get to eat these cakes, so I figured I could at least do this much for now :)

I learned a few neat things with these last 2 cakes. First, buttercream made with real butter tastes WAY better!! I found this recipe on the back of the Hello Kitty pan:

1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk

First, you cream the butter and Crisco, then add the vanilla. Then add the sugar 1 cup at a time, beating on medium or low. Blend in the milk on medium then beat the heck out of it until it's fluffy :) The only downside is that it's not pure white. It's more of an off-white. But if you're going to color it anyway, might as well use the tastier recipe!!

Secondly, I've been having problems with my coloring separating from the icing, but it wasn't too bad this time. To avoid that, I used a hand mixer with a whisk attachment to blend the coloring in, plus I add a little bit of powdered sugar to kind of soak up the coloring and help blend it better. I guess it works!

Lastly, even though 1lb is 3 3/4 cups, I usually end up using about 4 anyways. Otherwise it's too greasy :P

Well, that's all for today!

2 comments: